Wednesday, October 31, 2012

The Halloween Chronicles

Double, double toil and trouble;
Fire burn, and cauldron bubble.

Well, Halloween is finally here and this is one excited house! Growing up, my mom hated Halloween. She wanted nothing to do with the decorations, and she dreaded costumes. It was all just too much trouble to go through for one night. I vividly remember the one Halloween my sister was an opossum, tail and all. I am not sure whose idea this was, but it is an ongoing joke that she was "road kill". While all her friends were rock stars, fairies, cheerleaders...she was the opossum. She swears she is scarred for life. Every Halloween, this story brings me great laughter. I mean, she even had the furry feet.

So maybe that is why I actually have come to love Halloween. Each year, I seem to embrace it more and more and having kids was just the icing on the top. In their eyes it is magical. The one day even adults get to dress up and get to pretend. And did someone say candy? We have been practicing "trick or treat" everyday.

In our house, we gather all the seasonal books into one wicker basket to pick before bedtime. Mainly, because I end up forgetting one of my favorite titles and find it months after the season or Holiday. This way I am sure to get all the books we love and we get to read them several times. Since September, we have had all our Fall and Halloween titles featured in the basket.

Tonight, Onna and I were talking about switching out our books. I explained that Halloween is only for one night and then it is over. A certain sadness seemed to take over her face. I explained that we will wait a whole year for it to come back around. There was utter silence in the room. A little difficult for a four year old to grasp, but she understood enough to know that it was a sad thing. So good thing in our house, dress up and costumes are a daily event, otherwise, I may have had to peel her off the floor. She even has her little brother, Boston, in the mix and pretends he is her little witch's mouse! I often turn around to find him wearing wings or rabbit ears, curtesy of big sister.

Now that Hurricane Sandy has passed we can put our milk jug decorations and pumpkins back outside and enjoy the night. Onna loved this project! Luckily, our outdoor orange lights withstood the wind. Omar had rearranged them three times to get them just perfect.



We found the little cat decorating kit at Target. It came with all the jewels and pattern inside. Who wouldn't want to bedazzle a pumpkin?


We prepared by making some Nutter Butter ghost cookies. Simple, simple! Just dunk in white chocolate and icing the face on.



I found this idea a little too late for this year, but I am definitely stealing it for next year. My neighbor's house was adorned in masquerade masks and feathers. I'm thinking this is a great idea for an adult party next Halloween season!









What is your favorite childhood Halloween memory? Share it in the comments!

Happy Halloween!

No comments:

Post a Comment