Saturday, December 1, 2012

DIY Holiday...Part 2

Happy December!

No better day to share our DIY Advent Calendar than December 1st!

For the past few years I have been talking about getting an advent calendar. I never had one growing up so I was very intrigued by the idea of opening a little bit of magic each day. I have seen many in magazines for sale, but none that I loved. I decided to attempt a DIY Advent Calendar and figured it would be a good weekend project with my trusty assistant.


My craftiness only goes so far so I decided to start with a weathered framed message board as my base. You can also use fabric and build your own frame to size if you are really crafty. We used burlap bags because I am currently obsessed with burlap and and I like the idea of having a little room for hiding treasures. First off, I ordered small burlap bags from Etsy. They were quite a steal at $18 for 25, 4x6 bags.


A trip to Michael's craft store for some stencils and fabric paint and we are all set to begin. Stencil the numbers onto the burlap bag in any color you like. I like the simplicity of the black, but could also have gone with a Holiday red.
Tip: put something inside the bag to keep the paint from bleeding to through the backside.


I have filled our bags with small ornaments that I really love and some Onna painted so that I can look forward to seeing them each year when the calendar comes out and so that they can last for generations to come.


My hope is that this will become one of our time honored traditions that will one day be passed down to future generations.











No comments:

Post a Comment