Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Featured Mercantile- roots inc.



I am thrilled to feature roots inc. A creative little boutique in Chestnut Hill featuring the best of both worlds, housewares and apparel! Owner and busy mom of three, Heather, was kind enough to take some time to to help us get to know roots inc. a little better.

Tell us a little bit about yourself and how your life led you here today.

Heather:
I grew up in the Chestnut Hill area and went to Springside. I attended college in New England and after graduating I got my first job in the retail industry in Washington D.C. Since then, I have held various management positions in both home accessories and apparel stores such as J. Crew and Pottery Barn. I knew that at some point I wanted to own my own business and having that corporate retail background just provided me a great perspective and experience. On a personal note I am married with 3 boys and enjoy living in the area.



What is the story behind roots inc.?

Heather:
I opened in 2009 as a boutique home furnishings store in the 7900 block of Germantown Avenue and relocated to 8436 Germantown Ave in March 2012. When I reopened it was an opportunity to expand into an area that I thought Chestnut Hill was missing and that was a more urban, eclectic apparel store.




Where did the name come from?

Heather:
The original conception of roots inc. was it was the "start" or "beginning" of something growing. So as a home accessories store it was where you would go to buy things for the home as you were beginning the process of furnishing your home.




What are some of the pros and cons of owning your own store?

Heather:
The pros are that you love everything you sell; you are able to do all the buying and can make your own schedule. The cons are it's a lot of work for a wife and mother of three but my husband is a great supporter and helps me out wherever he can. Let's put it this way, I am responsible for everything good, great and even bad and that can be very stressful.



How do you go about finding the vendors you feature?

Heather:
As of now I do all the buying in NY at shows. I go to about 12 shows a year.

What are some of your favorite products from the store?

Heather:
Some of my favorite products: Pip Squeak Chapeau, which is a clothing line handmade in Brooklyn NY. She hand dyes all the fabrics and all the pieces are really easy to wear. All candles and diffusers by Lafco. The scents are fresh and all the vessels that they come in are reusable. Menswear made by Psycho Bunny. The logo is the best ever!



What is your own personal design style?

Heather:
My style is industrial/vintage and clean. I live in an old home but if I could I would build a modern green home that's very open and has a lot of glass and steel. I love clean lines and hate clutter - you wouldn't know it if you were in my home though. With 3 boys my house is filled with "stuff".

Thank you Heather!


My personal favorites are the Stray Dog Designs, handmade papier mache animal heads made from recycled materials by artisans in Haiti. I am desperately trying to convince Omar that we need one of these!




And this line of Harry Allen banks that come in some amazing hues.



These adorable hanging glass vases are perfect for indoors or outdoors and would make for great party or wedding favors.



I am loving the wide range of lighting that roots inc. carries, one of a kind pieces that have a very earthy feel. The vine one reminds me so much of a hanging honeycomb.



If you are not local, you can shop online - http://store.shoprootsinc.com/.
Happy Shopping!

No comments:

Post a Comment